Why Tween Girls?
Navigating tweenhood can be difficult! Tween girls are faced with some of the most demanding challenges of their lives, when they start deciding who to be.
At this age, habits such as eating, dressing, and new and different behaviours become more relevant. A girls self esteem can be related to weight, media, peer-pressure.
A study done by The McCreary Centre Society in BC states that 60% of girls who were too thin, thought they were too fat. Another study shows that an undue focus on outward appearance impairs girls’ ability to focus and concentrate. If girls have a negative body image, they are less likely to be physically active.
Here's some things tweens are thinking about:
If girls aren't physically active by the time they are 10-12 years old, they may not try again until they are in their 30s...
Why Should Girls Exercise?
‣ Girls who start exercising at a young age are likely to have well developed brains.
‣ It reduces the rates of teenage pregnancy, smoking, drop-outs and obesity.
‣ It fosters skills valued by the labour market.
‣ Increases the time spent in school
‣ Regular exercise improves the physiology necessary for learning.
Empowering girls, between 8-12, to set goals, be active, celebrate successes, be confident when facing peers, and understanding media, can have incredible benefits in how girls use their ideas, handle their relationships and plan their futures.