(a.k.a. Natural sugars found in Whole Foods):
1. Help us Think! It’s the #1 FUEL for our BRAINS! So we can do well in school,
learn new games and sports, and help friends solve problems
2. Keep us Energized for the whole day so we can play with our friends,
play sports AND help with chores around the house!
3. Stabilise Blood Sugar so we don’t get really high bursts of energy and
then really low crashes of energy
4. Are “Nutrient dense" meaning they are rich in vitamins, minerals,
and other nutrients important to keeping you healthy
5. Great to eat anytime!!
Examples of GO Sugars:
Fresh Fruit: Apples, Oranges, Bananas, Peaches, Pears, Grapes, Berries,
Melons, Fresh juice with no sugar added
Vegetables: Sweet Potatoes, Carrots, Butternut Squash, Quinoa, Brown or Wild Rice
Snacks: Dried Fruit, Banana Icecream (check out the recipe below!)
(a.k.a. Refined Sugars):
1. Make us Tired and Grumpy because they cause our blood sugar to go up and down too often
2. Are often Low in Nutrients and actually
take nutrients away from our bodies
3. Cause us to Gain Weight because our bodies don’t have a use for all the extra sugar so it gets stored at fat
4. Should be eaten only once in a while/on special occasions, and in small portions
Examples of WHOA Sugars:
Canned Fruit with Syrup, Fruit Juice with added sugar, Cookies, Cakes, Candy, White Bread,
White Pasta, Pop, Sweetened Iced Tea, Icecream, Milk, Doughnuts, Sweetened Breakfast Cereals.
Tip: When reading labels you want to look for items that have 7 grams of sugar or less
GO Sugar Banana Icecream!!
Serves 2-4 depending on serving size
2-3 frozen bananas
2 Tbsp. Cocoa powder
(add more if you’re a chocoholic!)
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla powder
1 tsp. toasted walnuts/pecans/almonds
Chop frozen banana into small pieces, process in food processor or high powered blender (like a vitamix) with cocoa and cinnamon until smooth. You may need to stop the processor a couple times and give it a stir to make sure the bananas are blending smoothly. Top with walnuts or your favourite granola!
MIX IT UP: Add frozen strawberries, blueberries, mango, or your fruit of choice,
or add chocolate chips, or coconut flakes for a little crunch and extra flavour.
Holistic Nutritionist Jen Walker loves just about anything that involves being outside, including running, biking, yoga, golf, and riding horses. Jen is passionate about making eating healthy FUN & EASY for the whole family! Her favourite vegetable is cucumber and she loves Coconut Icecream!!